It was an exciting time as spellers converged in Abuja to showcase their spelling prowess and prove themselves worthy to be National Finalists of the Nigeria Spelling Bee 2018 Season.
The Honourable Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu was ably represented by the Assistant Director of Education, Federal Ministry of Education, Mr Aisuedion Abel Akhere who, in his speech welcomed the spellers and urged them to do well to be the champions who will represent Nigeria at the continental African Spelling Bee in Mombasa-Kenya.
It will be recalled that the National Champions of last season’s competition did Nigeria proud at the 2017 African Spelling Bee in South-Africa by clinching both 1st and 2nd positions.
While showing much enthusiasm about the bee, the Ministry also hinted on supporting the Nigeria Spelling Bee’s aim of setting up Spelling Bee Clubs across the Federation in a bid to improve the spelling prowess of Nigerian students and advancing education. The Ministry also assured the Nigeria Spelling Bee is the Ministry’s continued support.
The days spelling showcase began with the indigenous words in Round 1 where spellers were asked to spell words from the three major Nigerian languages as the ‘fun non-elimination round’.
At the end of a total of 8 rounds, the below-listed spellers qualified to represent the North-Central Region at the National Finals in Landmark University Omu-Aran from the 19th to 21st July 2018.
- Abdulrahman Oyawoye (117) of Starville Schools, Gwarimpa, FCT
- Abubakar Aisha Amal (134) of Noble Hall Leadership Academy for Girls, Abuja, FCT
- Chidi-Ebere Chimsomaga (141) of Starville Schools Gwarimpa, FCT
- Kangrotmwa Gofwan (159) of Nigerian Tulip International Colleges (NTIC Abuja Girls), FCT
- Olawoyin Omogbolade (168) of Landmark University Secondary School, Omu-Aran, Kwara State
- Snow Somadina George (176) of Starville Schools Gwarimpa, FCT
- Uzuigwe God’swill Nnamdi (199) of Government Secondary School, Kabusa
- Adeyemo Iseoluwa Samuel (203) of Deeper Life High School, Ilorin Campus, Eyenkorin, Kwara State
- Dambatta Sani Aisha (205) of Nigerian Tulip International Colleges (NTIC Abuja Girls), FCT
These spellers have made it to the National Finals where they will compete to be Nigeria’s Best Speller and win One Million Naira scholarship Grand Prize. Five Hundred Thousand Naira and Two Hundred and Fifty Thousand Naira in scholarships are also for grabs for the 1st and 2nd runners-up.
National champions will also represent Nigeria in the African Spelling Bee competition in Mombasa Kenya this November.
Much appreciation goes to Nigerian Tulip International Colleges (NTIC Abuja Girls) for Hosting the North-Central Regional Qualifiers this season.
We also say a big thank you to all coaches, parents, and teachers for availing their students this opportunity and wish them a safe journey back to their destinations.