“This Nigeria Spelling Bee is Tempestuous” were the words used to describe yesterday’s South-South Regional Qualifier by a parent and coach.
The competition which was hosted at Ladybird Educational Centre, Port Harcourt was fiercely contested amongst spellers from all states in the South-South Geo-political zone such as Delta, Edo, Akwa-Ibom, Cross-River, Bayelsa and Rivers State.
So far, the South-South regionals have been the most contended event; going well over 5 elimination rounds to produce the best spellers who will represent the region at the National finals which will be held at the amazing Landmark University, Kwara state from the 19th to 21st July 2018.
The spellers who have proved themselves are:
- Ajala Oluwadabira (291), of Deeper Life High School, Port-Harcourt, Rivers State
- Akinmusire, Ayooluwa Honour (295), of Deeper Life High School, Port-Harcourt, Rivers State
- Akinwole Naomi (313), of Eliud International School, Rumuokwurusi, Port-Harcourt, Rivers State
- Anyaso Ogochukwu (350), of Bishop Okoye Spiritan Secondary School, Oyigbo, Rivers State
- Angel Brown (361), of Highcast International Academy, Mgbuoba, Port-Harcourt, Rivers State
- Chigozie-Nnah Keren (373), of Deeper Life High School, Port-Harcourt, Rivers State
- Onwuadi Faith (393), of Hybrid International Academy, Rumuokwurusi, Port-Harcourt, Rivers State
- Obaro Efeoghene (420) of Bishop Okoye Spiritan Secondary School, Oyigbo, Rivers State.
- Ekwere Richard (435), of Ladybird Educational Centre, Rumuokwurusi, Port-Harcourt, Rivers State
These spellers will meet other regional champions during the national event were a National Champion will emerge with a scholarship worth ₦1,000,000. The National 1st and 2nd runners-up will be awarded ₦500,000 and ₦250,000 in scholarships respectively.
National Champions will also represent Nigeria at the African Spelling Bee in Mombasa- Kenya this November.
We say a big thank you to all coaches, parents and schools for being a part of the Nigeria Spelling Bee and to the Host school, Ladybird Educational Centre Port-Harcourt and also our national host: Landmark University Omu-Aran Kwara State.