The South-East Regional Qualifiers of Nigeria Spelling Bee commenced on a great note with most spellers arriving very early in spite of the monthly state-wide sanitation exercise. Spellers who had previously qualified converged from all states in the South East to compete for a chance to represent the region at the National Finals.
During his opening remarks, Prof. Walter Ndubuisi, Member of the Board of Trustees of the organiser of Nigeria Spelling Bee, welcomed all spellers and lauded the initiative’s aim of doing its best to encourage a reading habit as well as learning and projecting our Indigenous languages.
The competition kicked off with the fun round where consisted of the three major indigenous languages of Nigeria (Igbo, Yoruba & Hausa?. After which, English words were used throughout subsequent rounds.
At the end of the day, these spellers will represent the region in the Nigeria Spelling Bee National Grade Finale:
- Emmanuel Nwogu (228) of PAC College, Egbeada, Owerri, Imo State
- Eze Chibuike Timothy (232) of Dennis Memorial Grammar School Onitsha (DMGS), Onitsha
- Eze Emmanuel Onyedike (233) of Holy Innocent School, Nnewi, Anambra State
- Ifinedo Anastesia Chiebuka (235) of Dorithy International Secondary School, Aba, Abia State
- Ndukwu Chibundom kaosisochukwu (242) of Krosa Model Schools, Awka South, Anambra
- Nnabuenyi Neta K. (243) of University of Nigeria Secondary School, Enugu Campus, Enugu State
- Ubani Giovanni Chimeremeze (259) of Blossom Fount College, Awka, Anambra State
- Umeh Vera Chinaza (261) of St. Theresa Girls Secondary, Umuahia, Abia State
- Chima-Edward Joy (214) of Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Umudike Demonstration Secondary School, Abia State
These spellers have proved themselves worthy to represent the region in the grand finale where they will meet their counterparts from other parts of the country to compete for a chance to the Nigeria Spelling Bee Champion and win up to ₦1,000,000 in scholarship for the Champion, ₦500,000 and ₦250,000 in scholarship for 1st and 2nd Runner-ups.
The National Finals is scheduled to take place at Landmark University, Omu-Aran, Kwara State from the 19th to 21st of July.
Observers and guests are welcome.