The Lagos State Qualifier of the Nigeria Spelling Bee held on the 27th of January started off on a great note as Sheriff Oluwatobi Muhammad graced the occasion and was awarded the Most Outstanding Speller of 2017 for his outstanding performance at the African Spelling Bee.
Sheriff was among the Nigeria Spelling Bee team that represented Nigeria at the African Spelling Bee Championship in South Africa in December 2017 and emerged the Best Speller in Africa.
Speaking at the presentation of the Award, the National Coordinator of Nigeria Spelling Bee, Mr. Abdulsalam Ibrahim congratulated the Speller for his achievement and making Nigeria proud. He also advised the spellers present to aspire to make Nigeria proud at the upcoming African Spelling Bee in Mombasa at the end of this season.
The competition proper kicked off with hundreds of spellers from schools across Lagos who have come to show their spelling prowess in a bid to emerge one of the Qualifiers to represent Lagos State at the South West regional competition.
After rounds of showcasing their knack for spelling, and in an interesting turn of events that saw the competition running into the late evening, these spellers emerged as the best spellers in Lagos State:
- Emmanuel C. oke (821) of Shams-el-deen Senior Grammer School
- Ogochukwu D. Moseiri (1013) of Eucharistic Heart of Jesus Model College Ibowon Epe
- Nodebem S. Nwankwo (1014) of Eucharistic Heart of Jesus Model College Ibowon Epe
- Jumil Salami (1027) of King’s School Lagos
- Faruq Danmole(1156) of Blazers School
- Abdraheem O. Sheriff (2026) of King’s College Lagos
- Aisha Ola Mudathir (1157) of Blazers School
- Oluwagbemiga A. Afolabi (1229)of Yeshua High School
- Oghenetega Sagua(1232) of Yeshua High School
- Ajibola M. Owoyememi (1244) of Yeshua High School
- Abraham Ebijuni (1275) of Holy Blessing College
- Denzel Kingsley (1280) of Evangel College
- Daniel A. Adekunle (1293) of Christhill College
- Ughanze C. Ogugua (1295) of Evangel College
- Anita M. Iloduba (1296) of Christhill Schools
- Joy Agge(1336) of Livingstone College
- Aboluwade David (1337) of Livingstone College
- Love Ubuane (1349) of Livingstone College
- Zainab Kadiri (1360)of Heritage Home School
These spellers will represent Lagos State at the South West Regional Competition for a chance to be one of the National Finalists who stands to win One Million Naira grand prize in scholarship and represent Nigeria in the 2018 edition of the African Spelling Bee in Mombasa alongside 5 other spellers.
We will like to extend our deepest gratitude to all participating schools and spellers for the training and hard work they have all put in preparations for the bee.
Our appreciation also goes to the staff and management of Wellspring College Lagos for Hosting the Lagos State Qualifier of the Nigeria Spelling Bee 2018 Season.
See photos and Share below!